The Brothers of the Christian Schools, also known as De La Salle Brothers, is a religious congregation of men founded by Saint John Baptist de La Salle, patron saint of teachers of youth. It is a teaching order that is consecrated to procuring God’s glory and the salvation of the young through the ministry of giving a human and Christian education to the young, especially the poor. The Brothers have answered a call to a vocation of faith, community, and service with the work.
The first arrival of the De La Salle Brothers in India was in 1859 at Mangalore. New foundations took place in Calcutta, Agra, Karaikal, Mahe, Pondichery, Tellicherry, Calicut and Cannanore. However for various reasons the new foundations did not take deep roots. Then in 1884 the Brothers withdrew from India and went on to establish in Sri Lanka and Malaysia.
Fr. Visuvasam, a Priest from Archdiocese of Madurai was interested in starting an Institution for poor boys and was looking for some Religious Congregations which could help him in this venture. Fr. Simo, a former De La Salle Brother in Sri Lanka introduced the Brothers to the Bishop. The first Institution started was St. Pius X Boys’ Town, on the outskirts of Madurai, in August 1961. Many young men were convinced of the work of the Brothers and joined the Brothers gradually. Later, the Novitiate was started at Mangalagiri, near Tuticorin the Port City.